For almost two years we have discovered that our 3 year-old, DR has developed new and increasingly difficult-to-avoid food allergies. His first was eggs, so I had to learn to bake a lot the foods that we once could purchase pre-made from the stores. The second was peanuts, which limited us further in items we could bake with that were not processed with peanuts. The third and most recent, milk, sent us reeling again. It’s only been 6 days, but my research and experimentation led me to the most amazing and easy cupcake recipe that is completely free of the top 8 allergens.
While all I wanted to do this weekend was keep DR next to me and hover over him while he ate, I knew it wasn’t possible. As 3 year olds go, he’s very independent and active. He hates for me to tell him what to eat, and he most definitely does not like to be confined to our house when he’s done nothing wrong. So when it came to a family get together on Monday for his cousin’s first birthday I had to make a plan. There were no bakeries in the area that could make dairy, egg, and peanut free cupcakes on short notice (not that I have the ability to trust anyone to do that right now). So I half-heartedly started my research expecting to have to go out hunting for weird ingredients like xantham gum to make somewhat decent cupcakes. However, in all of my research I found an amazingly easy combination of ingredients with the only “weird” one being vinegar. The cupcakes turned out moist and springy like you want and the frosting was easy to make and apply.
So here is the ahhh-mazing recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups coconut* flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan soy-free baking sticks melted
- 1 cup coconut* milk
- 2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In one bowl whisk together sugar, coconut* flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl whisk together butter, coconut* milk, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Pour the second bowl contents into the first bowl and mix until just combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Fill the liners two-thirds full.
- Bake in oven 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Frost as desired.
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan soy-free baking sticks softened/room temperature
- 3 & 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut* milk
- Using mixer, beat butter until light and airy.
- With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and coconut* milk and mix until smooth.
- Beat on high for another 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
*While coconut does grow on trees it is not typically listed as a tree nut. It is considered a botanical nut and placed in a fruit category.